Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Writing From Prompts: Help Wanted

The Goodreads M/M Romance group's major free story event is underway as of June 1st, posting three stories a day, all based on a picture and prompt provided by a member of the group. I love this event, it's what got me on to Goodreads at all thanks to my readerwife, and I always take a prompt. I love seeing what other people do with their inspiration, and I like to think about what I would have done with some of my favorites instead.

I love writing from prompts. Some of my best stuff has been inspired by a picture, or a poem, or a call for submissions from a press. In fact, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I started with no preconceptions was Bonded, which led to Pandora which led to Paradise which led to The Academy, so I really can't complain. The Academy is coming along well, and probably won't be completely wrapped up until closer to the end of the summer, but I'm already thinking about what to serialize next here. I'm in the process of turning these fics into self-published works, so it has to be something good that I'll be proud to offer to people later. Nothing's grabbed me yet, though (and don't say the sequel to The Academy, I need a break inbetween my sci-fi epics) and I don't want to post a story I plan on submitting to a press on my blog, because I'd have to take it down in order for a third party to publish it.

If I posted pictures here and asked for prompts for them, would anyone be interested in playing along?


***Update: okay, it looks like this will fly :) I've just got to go through my picture file and find some that I think could be awesome, and then we'll see what we get.


3 comments:

  1. Sure, that sounds fun. A bespoke Cari Z story - what's not to like? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, me, me!!!! *waves hand frantically* I want to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I;d be glad to give it a try and I bet most of your readers would also.

    ReplyDelete