Thursday, April 24, 2014

RainbowCon and other stuff!

Finally, a post about RainbowCon!

This was the inaugural year of RainbowCon, put on primarily by the owners of Storm Moon Press and taking place in Tampa, Florida.  For those of you who don't know, I live in Colorado, which meant flying out Wednesday, my man in tow, and getting into volunteer mode.

RainbowCon was meant to be a con that focused on more than just M/M fiction, and in that way it certainly delivered.  There were panels on writing YA, on F/F fiction, on writing trans characters, on self-publishing, on contracts, on...just about everything.  There was a trip to Ybor, the nightclub hotspot in Tampa, which I didn't participate in.  There were also male strippers as part of the welcome event,which...I did participate in.  What can I say, my man handed me some money and said go for it.  Then the awesome Lori Toland bought me a dance, and I was done.  Let's just say there's video of me out there on Facebook (which I'm cautiously approaching thanks to Anastasia Vitsky and my beloved readerwife) and leave it at that.

I got to meet a lot of great people, and some of my favorite authors!  It's pic time, so if you don't want to know what I look like, avert thine eyes.

First off, my absolute favorite author of M/M right now, if you haven't checked out her series I mourn for you: Jordan L. Hawk.  Read the Whyborne and Griffin series, guys, start with Widdershins and go from there.  It's so good.



I also got to see K-lee Klein again, who was out in Denver last year visiting for Pride--she is fun and awesome and has gorgeous tattoos, not to mention a step-and-fetch-it boy.  Lucky woman.



The LT3 Press people were also there, which was great because I got to meet Megan and Samantha Derr and their entourage, and also I'm publishing with them in, oh, a week or two, so--nice to know them.



I also went out to dinner at a very authentic Korean restaurant with Ana Vitsky and David Berger, and was introduced to barley tea and the feeling of being a small child.  Seriously, they had to get scissors from the back to cut some of the noodles because David and I couldn't handle them at their normal length.  Ana didn't laugh too hard, bless her.

Honestly, the best place to get pictures and see what was going on is the RainbowCon facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/rain.con.3  Needless to say at this point, it was a lot of fun and a good way for me to get used to new aspects of attending a con, like being a moderator, so if I can go next year I certainly will.

Other stuff, real quick:  I should be able to weather any disruptions to The Academy's posting schedule for the next month, hopefully.  Lots is happening--my readerwife and her husband are coming to visit this weekend, in fact--but I can handle it now, I think.  So, happy news for Tuesdays.

I've gotten an extension on my goodreads's group Love's Landscapes story, so it's now due on the 10th.  I just got too busy to adhere to my writing schedule, and the reprieve will help me make it a story worth reading.

My f/f novella Camellia, co-written with Caitlin Ricci, is available for preorder now.  It comes out on May 6th, and I'm really excited to be doing something different and challenging.  It's lesbian/BDSM (mild, all things considered)/based on a Japanese tea ceremony, so very different.  If you're moved to read it, I love you.  If not, well, you're reading my blog, so I still love you:)  I'm a bad disciplinarian, I'm afraid.

That's it for now...happy Thursday, darlins.

5 comments:

  1. It was so wonderful to meet you! And thank you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Widdershins was AMAZING! Cari recommended it to me a few months ago and she has never steered me wrong. :-) I have also read Eidolon which was absolutely precious. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

      The pics are fabulous, btw!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, baby, spreading the Whyborne love! You're so welcome, Jordan, getting to meet you and David really was a highlight for me. And you are lovely as ever, Tiffany. Can't wait to see you in...2 days!

      Delete
  2. It was lovely to meet you, Cari! What a great event filled with great people. Hugs and good luck with your writing.

    Oh, and scissors are a routine thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too! We'll have to do it again :)

      Delete